Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Finding my voice

We were asked to write in class.

How would you describe yourself?

Flawed. Patient. Hopeful.

How has this semester been like for you?

This semester I am learning how to not lose hope. Life has been kind but I have struggled with a growing disillusionment with the way the world works. The coursework has forced me to return to writing and believing that words can and do matter. I have finally arrived at a placed where I find peace in being alone and am trusting myself with my choices.

Share your influences.

Roald Dahl
Joanne Kathleen Rowling 
Dystopian fiction (e.g. Ender's Game)
Democracy Now!
Karachi
War movies (e.g. Grave of the Fireflies)
Documentaries

Write without thinking.

Force. He says to not force the words. But how I force what I dare not even touch. My words are not tangible; I cannot hold them, embrace them, or stroke their edges. I can only see them appear on a page. Like scattered raindrops inking the white bank age, except they are not as transparent. They carry a blueness that resembles sadness. I carry the words. I carry the sadness. I am asked to unload it onto the page.

No comments:

Post a Comment