Tuesday, March 24, 2015

"We are referencing the same reality"

I don't understand plagiarism. It doesn't make sense to me. Even if one had the guarantee that they wouldn't get caught, why would they do it? Our teacher took us through the arguments made in favour of plagiarism and those made against it. It was refreshing to participate in a discussion which looked at these very real problems of copying, cheating and lying about one's work. What I found most calming was just the realisation that the discussion did not take place to insult or harm the esteem of the individual who had plagiarised. Rather, it was to educate not just that person but the entire classroom as well. It was about time we took up this topic and spoke about it in a manner that is clear, direct and decent.

For someone who has had their work plagiarised (http://www.dawn.com/news/717743/mailbox-84 - scroll down to the letter titled Plagiarism), I'm wary of this social practice more than others are. I'm stayed away from "helping people out" on their quizzes, "lending" my assignments, and "sharing" my essays primarily because it is just not fair. If we are hoping to live in a society where people aren't exploited or talent is appreciated, and is hard work credited to its real source, then how are we to justify our blatant disregard of ethics as students of journalism? Can we at least hope to maintain our own integrity once we enter our professional lives?

This week was hard and although we learned about News Values, drafts/copies,  and how to protect our sources, I'm increasingly disappointed in the general attitude towards our field of work in other classes. We're debating on issues in a way which just reeks of pessimism. Is this what we signed up for when we chose Mass Communication for our undergraduate years?


On a personal level, I'm finding that my work as the editor is not as fulfilling, interesting, or exciting as reporting is. So I'm going to try and involve myself with the actual reporting too. I've been tagging along with the reporters - two of them who specifically asked me to be there - and I've helped in interviewing students, faculty and the staff for the stories they are reporting.  

I'm also becoming increasingly protective of my reporters. I don't want them to be unfairly treated and I want people to take them seriously. I want my reporters to take themselves seriously. Am I idealistic? Naive?

a scene from The Newsroom
The things we are being taught in this course should have been the foundation of our learning here at university. Had we started with courses like this one, our vision of journalism and the ethics it asks for would have been on solid ground. We are shaky in our principles and we need to start working meaningfully. 

Our teacher was discussing our stories with us and he gave us two pieces of advice which I think applies to every situation I've encountered this week:
  1. Be polite
  2. Pick your battles

P.S. The blog title is also something our teacher said. 

No comments:

Post a Comment